Interesting Facts about Speed of Light
Most of us operate freely with the term 'speed of light' but actually know a little about it.
Below, you can find a list of a few interesting things about speed of light.
1. Speed of light is measured in vacuum and is equal to 671 million miles per hour, 1080 million kilometers per hour, or 173 astronomical units per day.
2. The exact value of speed of light is considered to total 299,792,458 meters per second.
3. It takes about 1.3 seconds for light to come from the Earth to the Moon, and at least 3 minutes for the light to reach Mars from the Earth.
4. The speed of light is closely linked to such terms as light years or light minutes, which are in turn linked to distance, not the time (as some of us mistakenly think).
5. If we say that an object is 5 light minutes away, we actually see its image which was 5 seconds ago.
6. Therefore, the stars (which are very far away from our planet) we see at our skies are actually their images of hundreds and even millions of years ago.
7.Thus, the speed of light is what makes our telescopes work.